Monday, November 10, 2014

Shakespeare and Film, a Norton Guide


Shakespeare and Film, a Norton Guide Samuel Crowl. Norton, 2008. Read in May and June 2014.

                      It seems I can never get enough of reading about Shakespeare and film. I have in fact bought and read every book I have found. I’m sure there are more but I’m trying not to look for them.
                      This isn’t so different from the others.  It focuses on the major directors – Olivier, Welles, Branagh, Kurosawa, Kozintsev and Zeffirelli. Taymor is mentioned several times but she doesn’t get her own chapter.
                      One chapter is on Shakespeare films on television, another on the 90’s which brought us, Crowl points out, at least twenty Shakespeare films, most notably, perhaps, Baz Luhrman’s Romeo and Juliet.
The book presents several avant-garde productions, for example two I have been looking for for a long time with no success: Christine Edzard’s  As You Like It and The Children’s Midsummer Night’s Dream. If anyone knows where these might be available, please contact me!
It also deals with camera work, modern technology, opening and closing shots, actors’ interpretations and a myriad of other cinematic aspects of Shakespeare on film.
It’s well worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment